Monday, September 14, 2009

DOG LOVERS: IMPORTANT TO KNOW Sugar-free ingredient called a dog killer

By Patty McCormac

NORTH COUNTY — LuLu, a 2-year-old teacup Yorkshire terrier, ate sugarless gum that she pilfered from a purse that was left on a recliner in her Solana Beach home.

It almost killed her. What probably saved LuLu was owner Dorit Hanein seeing a gum wrapper on the stairs and remembering a poster listing toxic substances for dogs weeks earlier at a veterinarian's office.

“I don't know why I would make that connection, but it took about three seconds,” Hanein said.

With the little dog vomiting and shivering, Hanein raced her to the veterinarian, who successfully treated 4-pound LuLu for xylitol toxicosis. Read the rest of this important story here.

No comments: